- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 lb. fresh green beans, stem ends trimmed
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp. coarsely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 2 tsp lemon zest
Set an oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with heavy-duty aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- In a small dry skillet over medium heat, toast the pine nuts until golden. Watch carefully and stir frequently as they can burn quickly! Immediately transfer to small bowl. Set aside.
- Put the green beans in a large bowl. Add the sliced garlic, olive oil, 1 teaspoon of the lemon zest, kosher salt, pepper and sugar and toss well. Transfer the mixture to prepared baking sheet.
- Roast the beans and garlic for 15 minutes. Stir with a spatula to promote even cooking, then continue roasting until the beans are tender throughout, about 10 minutes more. The beans should be fully cooked, lightly browned but not shriveled.
- Add lemon juice, Parmigiano-Reggiano, remaining 2 teaspoons lemon zest and pine nuts to beans and toss well. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt, pepper and lemon juice if necessary. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Source: Jennifer Segal - tested by Cindy Bevans and Andrea Chavez