Pumpkin Cashew Cream
- 1½ cups raw unsalted cashews* (see note)
- ½ cup fresh water, plus more as needed
- Juice of 1 lime
- ⅓ cup ancho pumpkin sauce (or pumpkin puree + ½ tsp. chili powder)
- Pinch of garlic powder
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For The Tacos
- 4 to 6 whole wheat tortillas, warmed
- 2 small delicata squash
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- ½ small yellow onion, sliced
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 to 4 kale leaves, with stems, thinly sliced
- 1 lime, sliced into wedges
- Optional toppings: avocado slices, pomegranate seeds, cilantro
Make the pumpkin cashew cream: Blend together the cashews, water, lime juice, pumpkin sauce, garlic powder, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings. Chill until ready to serve.
Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Slice the squash in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and slice into ½-inch segments. Toss the squash slices with a drizzle of olive oil and pinches of salt and pepper and roast until tender and golden brown, about 30 minutes.
Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onion slices and a pinch of salt and pepper and cook until soft and browned, 5 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the mushrooms, and cook until they are soft and browned, about 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the apple cider vinegar, stir, reduce heat, and cook until the mushrooms are very soft. Stir in the kale and cook until it wilts, about 1 more minute. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Assemble the tacos with the onion/mushroom/kale mixture and roasted squash. Top with desired toppings. Serve with the pumpkin cashew cream and lime slices.
*Soak the cashews in water 3 to 4 hours, preferably overnight, then drain and rinse.
Source: Love and Lemons