Buttermilk Mashed Sweet potatoes with Fresh Herbs
- 2 1/2 pounds orange- or yellow/white-fleshed sweet potatoes, or a combination, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (see note)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper, or more to taste
- cinnamon to taste
- maple syrup to taste
- Place the sweet potatoes in a large saucepan or small stockpot, cover with cool water by 1 inch, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer and continue to cook until very tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Drain the sweet potatoes and return them to the saucepan. Add the butter and mash. Add the buttermilk, cilantro, dill, parsley, mint, salt, and pepper. Add cinnamon and maple syrup and more salt and pepper to taste and serve.
- Note: The tanginess of buttermilk goes well in the recipe, but you can use plain yogurt, sour cream, milk, half and half, or cream if you prefer.