Basic Cauliflower Rice
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 leeks, sliced thin or diced
- Coarse salt and coarsely-ground black pepper to taste
- Spices, herbs, and/or vegetables of your choice (diced red bell pepper, garlic, celery, fennel)
- Wash, remove core and leaves, trim, and coarsely chop the fresh cauliflower into small florets or pieces small enough to fit into the food processor. Make sure that the cauliflower pieces are completely dried before using.
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add onion and other vegetables and sauté approximately 10 minutes or until soft. Meanwhile, place cauliflower pieces in a food processor and process (pulse) until the cauliflower is small and has the texture of rice. (Don’t over process.) You may also grate the cauliflower.
- Raise the heat to medium-high. Add the prepared cauliflower to the cooked onions in the frying pan. Cover and cook approximately 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently, until the cauliflower is slightly crispy on the outside but tender on the inside (similar to "al dente" pasta). Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and serve. Makes 4 servings.