- 1 1/2 lbs fresh green beans, trimmed
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced, white and light green parts only
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large or 3 medium fresh tomatoes, peeled, cored and chopped retaining all juice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (or you can use chicken broth)
- 2 Tbsp thinly sliced fresh basil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook the green beans in a large pot of boiling water until just crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and cool in an ice bath. (bowl of ice water) Drain well; set aside.
- Melt the butter and oil in a heavy, large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until tender, about 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and their juice and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes. Add the beans and cook until the juices evaporate and the beans are almost tender, stirring often, up to 10 minutes. Stir in the wine and basil. Simmer 2 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve.
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Pour a heaping Tablespoon of Parmesan onto a silicone or parchment lined baking sheet and lightly pat down. Repeat with remaining cheese, spacing the spoonfuls about 1/2-inch apart.
- Bake for 3-5 minutes or until golden and crisp. Cool.
- Peel off the sheet and serve with the beans.