- 1 cup butter (2 sticks), room temperature
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Sweet potatoes
- Mix first 5 ingredients in medium bowl. Can be made up to 3 days ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before using.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly pierce potatoes all over with fork. Place sweet potatoes on cookie sheet. Bake until tender when pierced with a fork, about 1 hour, but will depend on size of sweet potato.
- Cut cross in top of each potato. Using oven mitts to protect hands, squeeze the potatoes gently from the sides, forcing the crosses to open. Spoon 1 tablespoon butter into each potato. Serve, adding the remaining butter to taste.