Mashed Sweet Potatoes and Pears
- 5 lbs sweet potatoes
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 Large firm but ripe Bartlett pears (or D’Anjous) peeled, cored, cut into slices
- 3/4 cup (or more) pear nectar (found in canned juice isle)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Pierce potatoes in several places with fork. Place on baking sheet; bake until very tender when pierced with knife, about 1 hour. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add pears, sauté until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add nectar; bring to simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until pears are very tender, adding more nectar if mixture sticks to skillet and stirring often, about 4 minutes. Transfer to food processor and puree.
- Peel sweet potatoes; place in large bowl of electric mixer. Add 4 tablespoons butter, beat until smooth. Mix in pear puree, sugar and cinnamon. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a buttered 13x9x2 inch glass baking dish. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead, cover and chill.) Bake uncovered until heated through, about 20 minutes.
Source: Bon Appetit