- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 pound butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 6 cups water, chicken stock, or vegetable stock
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a heavy soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ginger and stir together until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the squash, sweet potatoes, regular potato, and water or stock, and bring to a simmer.
- Add salt to taste, reduce the heat, cover and simmer 45 minutes, or until all of the ingredients are thoroughly tender.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup (or you can put it through the fine blade of a food mill or use a regular blender, working in batches and placing a kitchen towel over the top to avoid splashing).
- Return to the pot and stir with a whisk to even out the texture. Heat through, adjust salt and add pepper to taste.