- 1 lb. Brussels Sprouts
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1- 8 oz package refrigerated potato gnocchi pasta
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, sliced into 6 pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- Parmesan cheese, freshly grated for serving
- Trim and halve or quarter the brussels sprouts. Peel thick strips of lemon zest, then coarsely chop to make about 2 teaspoons.
- In a 12-inch skillet, heat 3 tablesppons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the sprouts, season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper, then arrange the brussels sprouts in an even layer, cut-side down. Scatter the lemon zest over the top and cook, undisturbed until the sprouts are well browned underneath, 3-5 minutes. Add the red pepper flakes, stir and cook until the sprouts are crisp-tender, 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- In the same skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat. Break up an gnocchi that are stuck together, add them to the pan and cook, covered and undisturbed until gold brown on one side, 2-4 minutes. Add the butter and honey, season with salt and black pepper, cook, stirring until the butter is golden, nutty smelling and foaming, 1-2 minutes. Stir in the brussels sprouts until warmed through. Serve with grated Parmesan.
Source: By Ali Slagle, New York Times Cooking