Apple-Filled Acorn Squash Rings
If you have never had acorn squash, this is a great recipe to try!
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoons curry powder
- 2 Apples, peeled, cored, diced (about 2 1/3 cups)
- 2/3 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 8 1-inch-thick unpeeled acorn squash rings (from 2 medium)
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until tender, about 12 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon curry powder; stir 1 minute. Add apples, apple juice and currants. Sauté until liquid evaporates, about 6 minutes. Season filling to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Melt 5 tablespoons butter in small skillet over medium heat. Add ½ tablespoon curry powder; stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer curry butter to bowl. Brush 2 large rimmed baking sheets with some curry butter. Arrange squash in single layer on sheets. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Scoop filling into center of rings. Drizzle remaining curry butter over squash and filling (mostly on squash). Cover with foil.
- Bake squash rings until squash is tender when pierced with skewer about 40 minutes. Using spatula, transfer squash rings with filling to plates.