- 1 bunch fresh beets
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tangerines, peeled and divided
- 1/4 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch Spinach-washed and torn into bite size pieces
- Additional grated tangerine zest
- Optional : blueberries, carrots, and snap peas
- 2/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated tangerine zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Scrub beets and trim tops to 1 in. Place in a foil-lined 8-in. square baking pan. Cover and bake at 400° until tender, 50-60 minutes. Cool to room temperature. Peel and cut into ¼ inch slices; transfer to a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, for dressing, in a small saucepan combine vinegar and brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 7-10 minutes or until reduced by half. Stir in tangerine zest, salt and pepper. Cool to room temperature.
For serving, arrange the tangerines, onion and beets on the spinach leaves. Add any optional items. Drizzle with dressing; garnish with additional tangerine zest.
Source: Taste of Home- revised and tested by Cindy Bevans