- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 bunch asparagus, preferably thin, trimmed and cut into 1-in pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh peas
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus more for serving
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes Cook Time: 30 Minutes Total Time: 45 Minutes
- In a medium pot, bring the broth to a simmer. Meanwhile, in a large pot or Dutch oven, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium-low heat. Add the asparagus and peas, salt, and a few grinds of pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until asparagus is tender-crisp, 2 to 4 minutes, depending on the thickness of the asparagus. Transfer the vegetables to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same pot over medium-low heat, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Do not brown. Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly, until glossy and translucent around the edges, about 2 minutes. Add the wine and cook until completely absorbed, about 1 minute.
- Ladle about 1 cup of the simmering broth into the rice and cook, stirring occasionally, until absorbed. Continue adding the broth, 1 cup at a time and stirring frequently until it is absorbed, until the rice is al dente and creamy, about 25 minutes. (Be careful not to get distracted while the rice is cooking; while it doesn’t require a lot of skill, it does require you to keep a close eye on it to prevent sticking. It helps to give this job to 1 person to take care of.)
- Stir in the reserved vegetables, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and remaining tablespoon of butter into the risotto. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, if necessary. If the risotto is too thick, thin it with a bit of milk. Spoon the risotto into bowls and serve. Pass the Parmigiano-Reggiano at the table.
- Calories: 277 Fat: 9 g Saturated fat: 5 g Carbohydrates: 37 g Sugar: 2 g Fiber: 3 g Protein: 10 g Sodium: 245 mg Cholesterol: 2