Sauteed Zucchini and Tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 pound zucchini (2-3 medium), cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 tomatoes slice into bite size pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil, plus more for garnish if desired
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large sauté pan. Add the red onions and cook, stirring frequently, until very soft and pale purple in color, 7-8 minutes. Do not brown.
- Add the zucchini, tomatoes, garlic, salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, for 3-5 minutes, or until the zucchini are cooked but still crisp and the tomatoes have started to collapse, creating a little sauce. Stir in the fresh basil, then taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with more fresh basil if desired.
Source: Once Upon a Chef-revised and tested by Cindy Bevans