- 2 large Artichokes
- 3 large lemons, 2 juiced, 1 sliced to yield 4 slices
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 whole cloves garlic
- 4 springs Thyme, fresh or dried
- 4 springs Rosemary, fresh
- 1 stick salted butter, soft
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Fill a bowl with water, large enough to accommodate the artichokes when halved (about 2 quarts). Add the lemon juice and toss in the lemon pieces.
As you complete each of the following steps, immediately immerse the artichokes in the lemon water:
Trim stem ends from the bottom of the artichokes.
Remove tough outer leaves from the bottom of the artichokes.
Trim approx. 1 inch from the top of each artichoke.
Cut the artichokes in half from bottom to top.
Cut and scrape out the fuzzy choke from the center of each half artichoke
- Drizzle a large baking dish or roasting pan with olive oil. Season artichokes with salt and black pepper. Place 3 cloves of garlic in each half artichokes, top each with a spring of rosemary and thyme (or sprinkle if dried), then place a lemon slice on each. Carefully flip the artichokes half over so that the cut side is facing down. (make sure the garlic is securely inside so that it doesn’t burn.) Drizzle with olive oil.
- Cover with foil. Roast for 45 minutes or until tender. (Test doneness by gently pulling on one of the leaves or test with a small, sharp knife.) Place the softened butter in a small saucepan. Remove the garlic cloves from the pan and add to the butter. Mash it into the butter, then gently melt the butter. Serve the artichokes with the butter.