- 6 cups low salt chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2-4 carrots, sliced crosswise
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 4 cups any mix of vegetables: zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, etc
- 1/3 cup white rice
- Place chicken broth and diced tomatoes in a large saucepan and heat until boiling. Add chicken breasts and simmer for about 20 minutes. Take chicken breasts out and shred. Put back in the broth.
Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots and celery. Cook for around 10 minutes until onion is golden and carrots have begun to soften.
Add salt, pepper, basil and thyme and stir about 1 minute
- Add chicken/broth mixture, rice and vegetables. Bring to a boil and then simmer 20 minutes up to 1 hour, depending on when vegetables and rice are tender. Enjoy!
Source: Simple Nourished Living - Revised and tested by Andrea Chavez