Glazed Pearl Onions with Raisins and Almonds
"A relish-like vegetable dish"
- 3 10 oz. bags pearl onions, white (about 2 lbs.)
- 1 cup dry Sherry
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or ½ teaspoon dried
- 2/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted (about 3 1/2 ounces)
- 4 teaspoons Sherry wine vinegar or red wine vinegar
- Bring pot of water to boil. Add onions; cook 3 minutes to loosen skins. Drain and cool slightly. Cut root ends from onions. Squeeze onions at stem end & onions will slip out of skins.
- Combine pearl onions, Sherry, raisins, honey, water, butter and thyme in heavy large skillet. Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to very low; simmer uncovered until liquid evaporates and onions begin to caramelize, stirring often, about 1 hour. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat. (Can be prepared 6 hours ahead.) Let stand at room temperature. Rewarm over low heat before continuing.) Stir almonds and Sherry wine vinegar into onions. Add a few teaspoons of water if mixture is too dry. Serve warm.
Source: Bon Appetit