- 2 tomatoes cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 (15 oz) can black -eyed peas drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can white Cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 4 ears of corn (shuck and steam for 5 minutes) then cut off cobb (this you can do ahead)
- ½ red onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 2 - 3 Avocado’s diced
- 1 cup cilantro chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
Honey Vinaigrette Dressing
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice (1-2 limes)
- 2 tbsp. honey
- ¼ cup plus 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
Shuck corn and steam in a steamer for 5 minutes. Let cool – cut the kernels off the cob in strips.
Meanwhile, place the chopped red onions in a small bowl and cover with water. Let sit about ten minutes, then drain completely in a sieve and set aside.
- Place the beans in a sieve; run under cold water to rinse well. Let drain completely and set aside.
- Add the beans, red onion, red and green bell pepper and cilantro.
- Make the dressing by combining all of the ingredients in a blender or mini food processor, process until smooth.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or, preferably, overnight.
- Right before serving, slice the avocados in 1-inch chunks. Add to salad. Toss the salad gently, then taste and adjust seasoning if necessary (I usually add a squeeze of fresh lime to freshen it up). Garnish with a bit of fresh chopped cilantro if desired. Serve cold.
Source: Created and tested by Cindy Bevans