Cauliflower Fried Rice from Once Upon a Chef
- Vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup chopped green onions/scallions, light and green parts separated (you'll need 5-6)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 two lb head cauliflower (or two pounds ready to cook' cauliflower)
- 4-5 Tablespoons soy sauce (use gluten-free if needed)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots (or use fresh!)
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 1/4 cup chopped cashews or peanuts (optional)
- Grate the cauliflower in a food processor fitted with the grating disc. Alternatively, grate on the large holes of box or hand-held grater. Set aside. (Skip this step if using 'ready to cook' cauliflower rice.)
- Heat 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil in a large (10 or 12-inch) nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the eggs and a pinch of salt and scramble until the eggs are cooked. Transfer to a small plate and set aside. Wipe the pan clean.
- Add 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil to the pan and set over medium heat. Add the light scallions, garlic, and ginger and cook, stirring often, until softened but not browned, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the grated cauliflower, 4 tablespoons of the soy sauce, red pepper flakes, sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring often, for about 3 minutes.
- Add the peas and carrots and continue cooking until the cauliflower "rice" is tender-crisp and the vegetables are warmed through, a few minutes.
- Stir in the rice vinegar, sesame oil, dark green scallions, nuts (if using) and eggs.
- Taste and adjust seasoning (adding the remaining tablespoon of soy sauce if necessary). Serve hot.
Source: Once Upon a Chef with Jenn Segal