Butternut Squash Stuffed with Quinoa and Mushroom
- 1 regular-sized butternut squash
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, separated
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
- Cut squash in half, take the seeds out and place, cut side up, in a baking dish. Season with salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add 1/4 inch of water to baking dish.
- Cover baking dish with foil & bake for around 40 minutes, or until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F
- In a small pot, bring 2 cups water to boil and add quinoa. Reduce to a simmer and let cook for 15-20 minutes, or until quinoa has absorbed all water. Remove from heat.
- In a pan, heat remaining olive oil and saute mushrooms and onions on medium heat. Add in the garlic after a few minutes. Cook until fragrant and onions are translucent.
- After squash has cooled, scoop out the insides, leaving flesh about a 1/4 inch thick.
- In a large bowl combine quinoa, butternut squash, mushrooms, onions and garlic, and parmesan cheese. Mix well and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon mixture back into the hollow butternut squash (add additional grated cheese, Guyer is great on top) and return them back to the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until top is golden brown.
Source: Ingrid Hilton