Butternut Squash Gratin with Leeks, Sage and Walnuts
- 1 butternut squash-peeled, and sliced into 1/8 inch thickness – take out seeds
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 -3 leeks, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 6 sage leaves, chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp salt and pepper
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 cup water
- 3 oz gruyere cheese - grated
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté the leeks, for 8-10 minutes, covering part way through so they will soften. Add garlic, sage and a pinch of salt for 2-3 more minutes. Turn heat off. Whisk the cream with the salt, pepper and nutmeg in a bowl.
- Grease a 8X8 inch baking dish, add water to the bottom of the pan. Make 3 layers- starting with 1/3 of the butternut squash. Sprinkle with 1/3 the sautéed leeks. Drizzle with 1/3 cup cream mixture. Sprinkle with 1 oz of Gruyere. Add the 2nd layer of butternut and repeat. Add the 3rd layer and then lightly sprinkle with walnuts. Bake for 45 minutes-covered. Uncover and bake at 400 F for 15 minutes or until golden on top.
Source: Feasting at Home-revised and tested by Cindy Bevans