Baked Mashed Potatoes with Crispy Shallots
- 3 lb. Yukon Gold or russet potatoes
- 6-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 c. half-and-half, plus more if needed
- 1/3 c. heavy cream
- 1/2 c. fresh parsley, chopped, plus more if needed
- 1/4 c. chopped fresh chives
- 1-2 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 stick salted butter, softened
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
For the mashed potatoes: Preheat the oven to 350˚. Peel the potatoes and rinse them under cold water. Quarter the potatoes, place in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook until fork-tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot. With the burner on low heat, mash the potatoes with a potato masher for about 5 minutes; the more steam that’s released while you mash, the better! Turn off the burner.
Add 6 tablespoons butter, the cream cheese, half-and-half, heavy cream, parsley, chives, salt and pepper. Stir to combine and thin with more half-and-half if necessary. Check the seasonings and add more salt and pepper to taste.
Spread the mashed potatoes in a casserole dish. Dot the surface with the remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking until light golden around the edges, about 10 more minutes.
- For the fried shallots: Heat 1/2 inch vegetable oil in a deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 sliced shallot and fry, turning occasionally, until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Repeat with the other shallot. Sprinkle the fried shallots on top of the mashed potatoes.