- 1/2 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- Kosher Salt
- 1-2 medium size shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. orange zest
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 lb. asparagus spears, stems broken off
- In a large, non-stick skillet over medium heat, toast pecans while stirring until you can smell the toastiness, about 2-3 minutes. Remove pan from heat, stir in 1 Tbsp butter, maple syrup and a pinch of salt. Return pan to heat and stir constantly, cook until nuts have absorbed the butter and syrup. Place nuts onto a plate for later use.
Clean the skillet. Over medium heat, melt 1 Tbsp butter and shallot(s), orange zest, orange juice, cayenne pepper and cook until shallots are soft. Add flour to thicken, stirring to incorporate. Add asparagus spears and cover the pan to let them steam for 3-5 minutes, or until dente.
Let sauce continue to cook until thickened, a few more minutes. Serve with maple pecans on top.
Source: Miami Herald-revised by Cindy Bevans