- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1 small bunch carrots, shredded
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon or 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- In a Dutch oven, combine the cauliflower, carrot, celery, water and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender (do not drain). Blend vegetables with an immersion blender (see note below)
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in the cheese until melted, adding hot pepper sauce if desired. Add to vegetables in the dutch oven. Blend again with an immersion blender.
- NOTE: if you don’t have an immersion blender you may use a regular blender. If you do not want to blend twice, wait to blend until cheese mixture is added to vegetables. Then pour into a blender and blend together.
Source: Taste of the Hone-revised and tested by Cindy Bevans