- 2¼ cups 100% whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups mashed ripe bananas (3 large)
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Grease and flour two 5×9 or smaller glass loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, mix shortening, sugar, mashed bananas, eggs and walnuts.
- Add combined dry ingredients and stir just until the batter is thoroughly blended.
- Bake approximately 55 minutes or until wooden toothpick comes out fairly clean when inserted in middle of loaf.
- Cool on rack for 5 minutes. Turn out onto rack to completely cool.
Source: Fannie Farmer Baking Book