Sweet Potato Mixture
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes (about 3 large)
- peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed light brown
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup pecans, coarsely
- 1/8 Teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the sweet potatoes and cook until soft and tender, 20 -25 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- In the meantime, make the topping: Melt the butter in a small pan over low heat. Off the heat, add the brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon and mix until well combined. It should look a little lumpy. Stir in the chopped nuts.
- In a large bowl, mash the sweet potatoes with a large fork until very smooth. Add the remaining sweet potato mixture ingredients and mix well. Set aside.
- Place the sweet potato mixture in a 2-quart baking dish. Spread the topping evenly over the sweet potato mixture and bake for about 40 minutes, or until the topping is nicely browned. Let cool slightly before serving.
Source: Jennifer Segal, onceuponachef.com