- Basic Pie Dough for a 9 inch 2 crust pie
- 8 medium peaches (5-6 cups) peeled, pitted and sliced (the peaches will peel easily if you drop them into boiling water for a minute, then plunge them into cold water.)
- 5 tablespoons flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter (1/4 stick)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degree F. Roll out half the dough, for the bottom crust, and lift it into the pie pan. For a beautiful lattice top pie crust: roll out the remaining dough and cut it into strips ½ to ¾ inch wide. You should have about 14 strips of varying length. Set them aside on a lightly floured surface.
- Place the peach slices in a large mixing bowl, and in another smaller mixing bowl stir together the flour, sugar, salt. Pour this mixture over the peaches, along with the lemon juice, and toss well. Pile the fruit into the dough-lined pie pan and dot with the butter.
- Moisten the edges of the bottom crust with water, then weave a lattice top with the strips of dough. Here’s how: Lay your alternate lengths of the strips of crust over the top of your pie. Pull back alternating strips, placing the opposite strips under and over. Pull those alternate strips back in place and pull back the other alternate strips. Continue until your lattice top is finished. Trim the pastry all around, leaving about ½ inch of overhang. Crimp or flute the edges. Brush top with a beaten egg.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, until the crust has begun to brown and the juices are bubbling. Reduce to 350 degrees F and bake for 20 to 25 minutes more, until the top is well browned. Remove from the oven and cool on a rack.